Friday, January 18, 2008

I got an IIM Call

I got a call from IIM C today.... Yay! Worth blogging about! But it was not a post-Cat GD-PI call.

They called me to know about the recruitment process at Corporate Executive Board (CEB) my current employer. The guy on the other side of the phone was in IIMC's placement cell. He got my number from I donno where... he didnt tell me. His voice was so similar to the 20 year old SRCC junior of mine (who also used to call me for placement at CEB).

Anyways, what he told me gave me a 'feel good' thing for the day... He said that many at IIM C want to know more about CEB's business model! They knew that CEB had visited IIT campuses & so they were looking to invite CEB to IIMC as well. Cool!

I had a nice small chat with this guy and then I gave him my HR Manager's number (Coz obviously, I could do nothing about his request, I am not in the HR Team).

Felt good!! I want to go to IIM and IIM guys want to come to CEB :-)

But then CEB is one company that would appeal to evry1... The unique thing about CEB is it's business model. Perhaps its the only firm which can claim that it faces no competition. And yes, thats true!

Every company faces some problems... & these problems are the bread and butter of many other organizations. These organizations (or management consultancies) offer customized advice to their clients and charge them per unit for that...

The consulting pattern of CEB is different. CEB also produces the same output, i.e. "ADVICE" but does not bills you per hour for that! CEB charges a fixed annual fee for unlimited consultancy/ research insights. The cost of CEB research is by the way, a fraction of what it takes to hire the McKinsey's, Bains and Hewitts of the world.

Yes, its a subscription-based consultancy model.. (And CEB's annual re-subscription rate is more than that of the Wall Street journal!)

Also the advice is through insights on "best practices" prevailing in the industry. What we do is to connect the organization with the problem to the organization with the solution. Entrancingly simple, immensely economical and thankfully useful too.

In a nutshell CEB provides psuedo consultancy (hehe) through best business practices- case studies, leadership meetings, networkings etc. Just helping others in not reinventing the wheel...

May be this person (kidnapped from youtube, to compensate for my verbosity) can explain better:



P.S:
*This post has been edited in the light of the suggestions (read criticism) received from my most avid reader.

*It may appear to the reader, that I am in awe with the company (which I should be), but I am not... I am only in awe with the business model!

11 comments:

«« hAdez »» said...

Seems like U r in the marketing team in ur Co. and u just invented a new way for its promotion :D
Enjoi!!!

Sugandha said...

@Hadez: I am only in awe with the business model (not the business 'product' per se :P)
Waise Nice way to promote naa? ;)

«« hAdez »» said...

Yeah! Becomes nicer even more when u use it to target the orkut population ;D [as u did]

But i din get it.. hows the model different from McKinsey's or BCG's. Care 2 explain ? [ or u may skip if thts 2 boring :P ]

Sugandha said...

Dude its a subscription based consultancy model... unlike other consultancies that charge per unit of advice (literally). CEB's research and insights are at a fixed, shared and annual cost! A unique (read 'patented') model.

& I can put anything on my orkut page, afterall it is my orkut page!!!

nyways thanx for caring to read and question :)

«« hAdez »» said...

Well, thts intresting...
...but dont thank, v mite balance tht later ;)

So u r new recruit thr, i guess ???
Whts ur profile ???

Sugandha said...

aah... If u've read, its a fluky call that I got from IIM, coz m not in HR or recruitement...

«« hAdez »» said...

Ok i kno tht u r in CEB -(minus) the HR/recruiting team...

But i was just guessing tht u ve just joined CEB. considering tht my guess is correct.. what position r u holding thr ??? ( ...tht is, if i may ask that :P )

Sugandha said...

I've just joined CEB's research team... R u also intrstd in wrking here? ;)

«« hAdez »» said...

Not exactly a Job... m actually luking 4 a summer intern thr.
Can u help, in any way ?

Aditya said...

Well I opened this post in an altogether different spirit.. nd found n altogether diff thing... Well thts a gud brandin way.... chkd the CEB website....

Welcm to blogger :)

Sugandha said...

@Aditya... Its realy not branding, just another post written in a hyper excited state of mind.
& Yes m kinda faccha only on blogger. Thank-u for the warm welcome :)